Saturday, December 20, 2008

Getting there, slow but sure

From the Merriam-Webster Online Dictionary:

progress

(The intransitive verb, specifically.)

1 a (1): a royal journey marked by pomp and pageant (2): a state procession
b: a tour or circuit made by an official (as a judge)
c: an expedition, journey, or march through a region
2: a forward or onward movement (as to an objective or to a goal): advance
3: gradual betterment; especially: the progressive development of humankind

I've been thinking about progress in that it means 'gradual betterment', or society in general progresses forward over a period of time.

I've been thinking about it because in this day and age, things should be easier than they were ten years ago. Right? Things can change for the better in a decade.

Right?

Well, the answer is yes and no. Take the holiday season, for example. Even with the Internet, miniturization of technology to create widgets like 'smart phones', and going green, things haven't really improved when the holiday season hits. We still can't quite drive safely on snow- and ice-slick streets. Instead of communicating with one another better, we're each more isolated than ever. We still get a little stupid, and in too many ways to count. And of course, it's a game of catch-up just to get one thing or the other done. Many will be fortunate to be done Christmas shopping by the 24th.

Which is my way of explaining why I'm still trying to get my ducks in a row with this blog at this time, and I must offer my apologies.

Things will be up and running on all cylinders here soon, guaranteed, and on a regular basis...happy holidays!

2 comments:

  1. Charles, I'm one of your followers, so whenever you are ready, I'll be there to read!!! ^.^

    Things are a little better to some degree my friend. I mean, instead of driving out on those icy streets, I shop over the internet! ^.^ As far as communicating, thanks to sites like myspace, I get to stay in touch with wonderful people all over the world: Like you!

    Happy Holidays to you, too!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'd hate not mentioning that if it wasn't for the Internet, we would never have met, dear Yen...and I could never say how thankful I am that we did. :)

    ReplyDelete