Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Dumb-Assedness Knows No Bounds

"A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals, and you know it."

Tommy Lee Jones as Agent Kay, from Men in Black




I'll admit, I haven't been the smartest person in the world my entire life. I've made my fair share of mistakes, either intentionally or accidentally, and suffered the consequences accordingly. I've been dumb sometimes, and who hasn't?

More times than not, though, I've noticed something very disturbing about what we call the human race...a trend which reflects that we are on the whole dumber than one can possibly hope to quantify, even if a genius had the help of a supercomputer the size of Texas. Don't get me wrong, I'm not here to condemn everyone else from some lofty perch. Like I said, I've been dumb, too. But I've been trying to be better.

And like that quote from Tommy Lee Jones above, it isn't like intelligent, thoughtful folk with common sense are few and far-between. But I *DO* know that stupid people run in packs. And they like to follow stupid, foolish, a-facepalm-ain't-enough trends.

Here's a trend for you I just heard about today. In Wikipedia, it's called the 'Fainting Game'. When I heard about it in my area on a local news radio station, they called it 'the Choking Game'.
Just when you think you heard everything, huh?

It's something more and more kids (mostly pre-teens) are doing to get a new kind of high. How? If this is the first time you've heard of this, please rest assured I'M NOT MAKING THE FOLLOWING UP, may I get hit by lightning. It's called the 'Fainting/Choking Game' exactly because kids are deliberately choking themselves or forcing themselves to hyperventilate to go dizzy and experience the rush that comes with it.

What the hell?

I can't add anything to that (I'm sure you're thinking of a lot of things for yourself after reading that) but this. Doctors are warning parents that besides risking death (no shit?), a kid can also go brain-damaged as a result of the 'Choking Game'. I'm sorry, I thought anybody who'd do that was ALREADY brain-damaged...and maybe if they want to get choked so bad, someone else can do the job for them and *all the way to getting dead* to spare the more intelligent of us their dumb-assedness...




No comments:

Post a Comment