Tuesday, April 21, 2009

A rant on something I dislike...

I'm hesitant to call it 'hate'. Let me get that out of the way. If someone decides to do something with themselves in a free society, hey. I'm not one to say that thing is wrong.

Or maybe I am. It isn't just dislike, it's disdain. Disgust. Sometimes I'm unable to understand what motivates it. Sometimes I feel anger, especially when it goes terribly wrong, and it often does. What am I talking about?

Cosmetic or plastic surgery.

This does NOT in any way include reconstructive surgery, to help someone heal after a disfigurement they shouldn't have had to endure in the first place. I'm talking about the elective, ego-motivated bullshit too many women (and men) have had, and too many more will have in our future. The changing of one's looks with both slices and foreign substances to achieve their personal ideal -- or society's ideal -- of beauty.

Yes, I called it bullshit. And it is. And I blame society in general, and women (and men) in particular who let themselves get duped into doing it. Unlike most people, I don't forget the stuff I'm taught when I was a kid. Some of that stuff involved 'true beauty comes from the inside' or 'never judge a book by its cover'.

But according to our "Nip/Tuck" world, we're supposed to judge ourselves by our covers...beauty IS skin-deep, and it can be improved as long as you have the cash to pay.

I say to Hell with that. I say to Hell with the doctors who tell women (and men) with a vulnerable self-image they can be 'improved', because those doctors only really give a shit about how much money they make from their patients. And keep in mind there are those who will never feel beautiful enough, those who will visit their plastic surgeon again and again because something was missed, something that needs to be FIXED.

I may go back to this subject again sometime, but I'm already tired of ranting about it...because I seriously doubt a lot of people will read this, take it to heart and try something that won't involve strategic mutilation of one's face and body if they want to feel better about themselves. Something that's been around for centuries I won't even bother to count. Something called makeup.

But if you'll read anything in this blog and let it sink in, let it be this:

There's good reason why its called plastic surgery...and please remember what you were taught as a kid before you go to make such a dramatic yet cosmetic change. You're beautiful as the person you were born to be. Not the person someone else says you can be remade to be. And most importantly, if you're going to spend a shitload of money on your face, try to think of a better use for that hard-earned cash. Like your kids. (If you have any.)

No comments:

Post a Comment